medieval and renaissance music performed on . . .
gittern, citole, harp, simfonie, koboz, bray harp, lute, cittern, renaissance guitar, mandore, voice . . .
. . . and traditional music performed on . . .
Click the blue text above to see and hear a performance of the individual instrument.
Ian’s YouTube page with more videos is here.
Ian’s 40+ years of performance experience includes appearances on TV (music for period drama) and radio, in arts centres, folk festivals, early music festivals, folk clubs, private events and celebrations, and weddings.
“beautiful set … a brilliant performance enthusiastically presented by a master musician to an appreciative and attentive audience that, quite simply, loved it. Wonderful.” Folk at the Fold
“superb … arrangements are breathtaking … and a very fine singing voice … Ian’s performances are both compelling and informing. A virtuoso.” Alcester Folk Festival
“a strong and fluid style, always in support of the songs, though when he wants to show off his picking prowess, he can … Ian always gives fascinating origins of the songs. His easy-going manner engages the audience; and the night was an object lesson in talking about the songs in an entertaining way – as well as some fine singing and playing.” Warwick Folk Club
“splendid performance … a joy and delight … he had us all spell-bound.” Food & Folk
Multi-instrumental performance of medieval music, renaissance music, or a mix of the two, on period instruments and in period clothes if required. Enquire using the form at the bottom of the page.
Ian delivers participatory early music workshops for adults or children, created and delivered to order or chosen from past workshops on the following subjects:
- early music for beginners
- medieval music for folk musicians
- From Monophony to Polyphony: arranging medieval music
- Love, Loneliness and Peasant Punch-ups: the history and music of the troubadours
- bryd one brere: constructing the missing voice
- Mirie it is: decoding the earliest surviving secular song in English
- renaissance music for folk musicians
- renaissance dance
Weddings and celebrations
Ian can offer the complete package of wedding music, with medieval and/or renaissance music for the pre-ceremony gathering, the ceremony itself including the bride’s entrance and signing of the register, and background music for the wedding breakfast. Performance can be on gittern, citole, harp, lute and/or renaissance guitar, in period clothes or in a modern suit.
Fees and enquiries
Every event is different: fees depend on preparation time, travel, and the length of performance. To enquire, use the contact form at the bottom of this page.
A CD of mostly traditional music on voice and guitars in various tunings. Sound samples below.
“treasures of interpretation … a treat for the ears … moments of genuine tenderness … melodic, reflective and unforced. Ian’s instrumental virtuosity can’t be faulted, masterful on anything he turns his frets to.” Clive Pownceby, English Dance & Song magazine
“exactly what I always hope I’m going to get … we sometimes forget what a fine guitarist he is, partly because his gentle but solid vocals and purity of tone are what tend to stick in the memory … This is an ambitious undertaking, and it’s all worked excellently.” Flos Headford of The Old Swan Band, Shreds and Patches
“When you’re as talented an instrumentalist as Ian, you have to be careful not to let the accompaniment dominate the song. Ian gets it absolutely right … a mature talent well in command of the material. The album as a whole is one that will deservedly be popular and will increase the reputation of someone who is already highly regarded.” Bob Taberner, Folk Monthly
01. Lord Franklin (traditional) – sound sample below
02. Pavana The Earle Of Salisbury (William Byrd) – sound sample below
03. Low Low Lands Of Holland (traditional)
04. One Day I Walk (Bruce Cockburn)
05. Two Brothers (Irving Gordon)
06. Brisk Young Butcher (traditional)
07. The Wilderness Road (Andy McLaughlin) / The Two William Davises (Turlough O’Carolan)
08. I Courted A Wee Girl (traditional)
09. I’d Rather Be A Beggar (traditional) – sound sample below
10. Dandelion (Ian Pittaway)
11. Our Captain Calls All Hands (traditional)
12. Barbara Ellen (traditional) / Arthur William (Ian Pittaway)
13. Coventry Carol (traditional) – sound sample below
14. Flash Company (traditional) – sound sample below
Lovers Beggars Soldiers Sailors is £10, including postage within the UK.
To buy, use the button below.
For overseas sales, please enquire using the form below.